Saturday 11 February 2012

Day 1 - Arrival in Africa

My flights were very good with quick connections and interesting people to talk to. The whole journey took about 23 hours though, so I was fairly tired when I arrived in Nairobi. I had a short panic attack when I realized that I had cleaned out the address and phone number of the YWAM (Youth with a Mission) base that I was going to, and wondered what I would do late at night in Nairobi (often called Nairobbery) if no one arrived to pick me up. Luckily, after obtaining my 3 month visitors’ visa, and collecting my luggage, I saw my name on a placard being held up high avove the crowd awaiting those who arrived on my flight. Two guys from the base were there to pick me up. We walked out into the balmy weather – even at 10:00 P.M. I asked one of the guys what the temperature had been during the day, since it was still so nice out, and he said he didn’t know – he never checks the temperature because it is always nice. I guess, as a Canadian, I am going to have to find something else to talk about other than the weather.   The roads were still congested at this time of night but mainly with trucks travelling between Nairobi and Mombassa – the main port for Kenya. When I arrived at the base, I found everyone in bed. I unfortunately had to wake up my 2 roommates that had already settled in, so that they could unlock the door and let me into the room. Sleep came quickly and felt wonderful after such a long day!  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had someone to pick you up! LOL about no one caring about the weather. I guess that is a Canadian thing!

    ReplyDelete