Wednesday 15 February 2012

Day 6 - Cleaning Day


I worked in the garden first thing in the morning again and then went to school until 1:00 P.M. After lunch I went to do my work duties in hospitality. Eleanor asked me to bring a new book shelf into the hospitality suite and to transfer the dishes and food into the new shelf.  Carl (our instructor) and I decided to reorganize the whole room (including the fridge and stove) and give it a serious cleaning. It was disgustingly filthy and there were rat droppings everywhere. We cleaned the walls, floors, appliances and shelves before reorganizing pretty much the whole room.  I don’t know how Carl could relax in it when it was so disorganized and dirty but he has lived much of his life in the Dominican Republic and it sounds like the standard of living there is comparable to Africa. We used soap and water to clean everything once but when I wanted to repeat the process he thought that I was going a bit overboard. When I suggested using a little bleach he thought it was totally unnecessary. Quite a deviation from the sanitation measures I am used to in the food industry. Anyway, the suite looked great when we were finished so Carl is as happy as a clam now.

I had rats on my brain when I returned to my room and started getting concerned that we may attract rats in our room with all of the extra food we were purchasing and leaving on our beds and bookshelf. We have a large crack under our door that a rat could get through so I have asked for an old towel or rug that we can stuff under our door  each night. Rose came into our room and suggested that we close our suitcases each night so that rats do not get in them and eat our clothes. That apparently happened to her once.


No comments:

Post a Comment